Prototype PGH, Inc. (Prototype) is a small organization with many moving parts. What started as a personal studio for co-founders Erin Gatz and E.Louise Larson is now a feminist makerspace. Prototype PGH was born from the idea that we are constantly prototyping the kind of world we want to live in. As women who love making, educating, and Pittsburgh, this is our first prototype for the future.
Since January 2017 Prototype has been entirely volunteer run with over 30 volunteers committed to staffing our weekly open studio hours. Our 150+ paying members are tinkerers, entrepreneurs, engineers, writers, artists, and teachers. In March 2018, Prototype was awarded a Google Impact Challenge Grant for its commitment to increasing economic opportunities for women in Pittsburgh. Over the next year Prototype aims to grow its membership base, diversify its revenue streams, and build a sustainable business model for years to come.
The Operations Manager will be a self-driven, highly organized, and communicative individual who is committed to supporting women in the growing technology and entrepreneurial sectors. This position will report directly to, and often work alongside, Prototype CEOs. Successful candidates will be comfortable liaising between volunteers, members, CEOs, and the Board of Directors. We encourage you to apply for this position even if you do not meet every qualification. What matters most is a willingness to learn and a commitment to gender equity.
This position requires a high level of detail and communication skill, and is critical in transferring knowledge among all levels of stakeholders. Specifically, this person will be responsible for the following:
- Organize and promote weekly workshop series
- Respond to emails on a daily basis
- Update website as needed; current platform is Squarespace
- Coordinate instructor invoices and payment
- Coordinate quarterly volunteer schedule and training
- In coordination with leadership, manage Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts
- Liaise between volunteers, members, senior leadership, and the Board of Directors to ensure thorough communication between groups, develop new member recruitment and retention strategies, and update CEOs on relevant developments
- Schedule monthly new member meetings to orient and train members on space and equipment
- Physically staff Prototype for 20 hours per week
- Manage tabling/activity requests and coordinate volunteer outreach
- Document and establish routines for ease of delegation and organizational growth, which may include developing and training other staff on standard operating procedures
- Demonstrated experience of administration, operations, and management responsibilities
- Volunteer management experience
- Social media content creation and management experience
- Comfortable working directly with supervisors and the Board of Directors
- Comfortable serving as direct point of contact for members and volunteers
- Experience scheduling and/or producing events
- Teaching experience with youth and/or adults
- Interest in CNC equipment use and application
- Demonstrated commitment to feminism
This is a one-year position with a pay rate of $20/hour for 20 hours per week as a 1099 independent contractor reporting directly to the Prototype CEOs. This is the first paid employee position for Prototype and there will be opportunities for growth as we continue to expand and sustain the organization. Prototype looking for someone who is excited by the idea of being an integral part to building something new and contributing to gender equity in the growing tech and entrepreneurship sectors in Pittsburgh.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10, 2018 to be considered for this position.